DIY Dog-Friendly Pizza (that's healthy too!)
If your dog is anything like mine, he spends a large amount of walk-time scouring the side walk for discarded pizza crusts. We used to live near a Domino’s pizza, and he learned very quickly that if you sniff behind dumpsters and underneath boxes you’re bound to find something tasty. Obviously I don’t like it when he consumes ancient pizza, but the joy on his face when he finds something is just too good to be true.
So, for Django’s 2-year adopt-a-versary I decided to give the man what he wants: pizza.
Most pizza is safe for dogs to eat, but occasionally there are hidden ingredients in human-grade pizza that can give a pup an unset stomach. To avoid this, I used only the safest of ingredients for my big guy to make sure his pizza-eating experience was as fabulous as he is.
Ingredients for the Dough:
1 cup of flour*
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
1 teaspoon of dried basil
1 cup of vegetable or chicken broth
Ingredients for the Toppings:
Low-fat cheddar cheese
2 natural hot dogs**
2 slices of natural turkey, chopped
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F
2. In a large bowl mix together flour, oregano and basil
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the egg in
4. Slowly add the broth into the dry mixture
5. Mix the dough together until it’s slightly sticky
6. Grease a pan and press the dough onto the pan
7. Add the toppings as you wish
8. Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until the crust of the bread has browned
9. Allow the pizza to cool before giving to the dogs
*If your dog has a gluten sensitivity you can use coconut flour instead
**When choosing your toppings, try to choose things that are low in fat and with no salt added
This pizza was a huge hit with both of the dogs. They devoured it faster than I could possibly have predicted, and still asked for more.
The original recipe comes from Gone to the Snow Dogs. We have altered the recipe slightly to suit Django’s taste buds, but the core of it is the same. I encourage you to also check out their website, because we’re in love with it! http://www.gonetothesnowdogs.com/diy-pizza-dogs/